Tuesday, October 23, 2007

buh-wah?

I'm hesitant to post this. I can see many of you reading it and just brushing it off as something that I'm simply blowing out of proportion. I hope you don't read into the details, they're just examples, but more into the whole idea.

I can't tell you how many times I lie in bed with my eyes open, hands on my fore head talking to no one. I can't tell you why I do either. I think that maybe it has something to do with my metabolism. I don't eat breakfast, and so I don't start my daily metabolism until 12:30, and that can be a shocker on the system. My body is trying to function on just two huge meals a day. So come around 10:00, I'm not tired because my body didn't really wake up until 12:30 or so. Get it? Never mind if you do or not, that's not he important part. The main idea of this paragraph, if you couldn't tell, is that I lie awake at night, talking to myself.


It's a strange state to be in, trust me. I can't lie, but I got to tell you that what I'm about to say is a little embarrassing. What I'm actually doing while laying there in my bed, is having fake conversations with people who aren't actually there. Almost rehearsal conversations. I don't know why, but I have these full on, dramatic and embellished conversations with someone, and the best part is that it always ends well for me; if it doesn't, I start it over so that it does. Oh, and if it goes really well and I actually want to have that conversation in life, I will sit there and practice it, over and over and over. It's a habit, it's a comfort, it's an addiction!


Somewhere in my life, I became a little socially awkward. The worst part was when I noticed it and started to make a big deal about it, only making it worse. Most of you that read this blog, hopefully haven't noticed because, well, I know you well enough not to be awkward around you. Yet, trust me when I say that I tense up when I'm around other people. I don't know why and I'm sure that a psychiatrist could tell me why, but I really don't care. I just am. There are some people who I just have a tuff time getting to know.


So from here, I think you have figured it out. Those people who I can tend to be awkward around, tend to be the people I "practice" having conversations with. (Man, I sound really lame right now)...(Do I really plan on posting this?)...(Buh-wah?)

I have great friends, a good father, a loving mother and probably the best brother that I could ask for. I'm blessed with those relationships. So anything I say is not in offense to them. It's just how I tend to feel.

I strongly believe that humans were meant for relationships. My brother once said "It's not what you do, but who you do it with." I think that's completely true. I would rather go through a proverbial hell with someone who I care about and who cares for me, then to be in paradise with someone who only comes off negative to me. Humans absolutely need relationships. They are the core of our life. Everything we do, we share with someone in a relationship. And inside that relationship is affection. Affection is crucial to our simple nature. If someone one tells you that they don't care what other's think of them, it's not true. Not at all. They do. They want affection from someone. They want someone to think positively about them. That affection inside our relationships is crucial.

In my life, I'm on a constant search for affection. From every relationship I have, I suck out as much as i can get because I strive off of relationships. I hope that you stuck with me this far because everything I have said is about to come together...hopefully.

Sometimes, I'll have a bad day, a bad week, a bad...you get the point. To try to get myself up and out of that hole, I start searching for affection from others. My friends, my brother, my mom and dad. Yet, sometimes, especially latley, I feel shorted. I still have that erge to feel loved; I have a need to feel needed.

So then, I look at other people outside of my closer relationships. I look at people who are, well, "better" than me, for lack of a better word. What I mean by better is people who I look at and see that they are lovable. They are someone who gets affection all the time. And how do I know that? I don't, I assume it off of thier looks, attitude and how other people act towards them. I begin to think that maybe, if I was to start a relationship with them, and they start to pour thier affection into me, it will be enough. I will be full of affection and things will go easier. "If thier so loved, then thier affection towards others is worth more, and if I get some of that, I'm set."

Then, I realize, that I get awkward around those kinds of people. I've got to be honest, Those people really are all girls. I suck at talking to and getting to know girls. It's not my fortey. When I get awkward around them, I feel worse about myself, and search for that affection even harder. I star to tell myself "I just need a girlfriend". Then I start looking at girls as potential dating partners completley for my benifit. I see in hind sight that looking at girls this way is completley wrong and only puts on more pressure, so I act more awkward, suck worse at getting to know anyone, feel even worse and look for more affection.

Then, when I get home and go to bed, I lay there thinking of a converstation with them. Trying to suply myself with false affection.

Now, I realize that I just tied in God's creation of humans into my "girl problems", but it's not about my girl problems. It's about the fact that I'm never satisfied with the relationships I have. I can't fill myself enough with affection. The worst part is, is when I try to turn to God for affection. It's the hardest thing because it's tuff to feel his presence in my everyday life. I blogged about earlier. I hope that you would agree that it can be hard to feel God's affection when your in your daily schedule. Though, when I go out and look at the stars, it's different, becasue I can feel God's presence, and I am instantly filled. But that's easier said then done.

I strive for affection in my relationships. Everyone does. And when I can't find enough, I start searching in all the wrong places. My "girl problems" is just a symtom of that. All I know is that I sometimes start to go downhill, losing any motivation that I have, when I don't feel needed. I have dating issues, I guess, and I sometimes think that dating shouldn't be that big of a worry for me. But when I'm in such need for affection, dating almost becomes a nessecity, and my struggles with it, becomes a bigger deal. You see, my blogging about girl problems isn't so pathetic anymore.

I could of worked harder on this post. My clearity might be a little rough and I might not have explained myself as much as I wanted to. That's how it goes, eh. I hope you read it and understand what I'm saying. Maybe you have something to say, and I hope you do, but please don't think that this is the extent of my thoughts on this. This post is the Happy Meal of my thoughts.

6 comments:

Andy said...

First off, Ryan, you are the man. You are saying you are always looking towards people for affection. I do the same thing and I will tell you that you are one of my favorite people to turn to for affection cause you are always there. Thought you would like to know that. And i definitely know what you mean. Like i can totally relate to a lot of the stuff you said. I am different in some ways but it ends up being the same thing. Like for me i think i am confident enough to say i am confident around girls in that i can talk to them and get along with them and everything. But my problem is i can never get that relationship i want. And in the way you are i end up in sort of the same boat in a way if you know what i mean if you catch my drift. But i dont know man. I am always pretty hopeful about it and i dont give up and i know it will come eventually. And that is the main thing of what i have to say to you. Man, you got to know that the girls will come. I think you do but i want to say it too. Things will start working out in that area as time progresses. I think you just got to be willing to take that risk and put yourself out there. And for sure there will be awkward situations but that is how we learn in life. We learn from our mistakes and we learn what works for us and what doesnt. Ha i think my comment is going to be as long as your blog...except not. So i will wrap this up by saying i enjoyed reading this. It's good that i am not the only one thinking about stuff like all that. Talk to you tomorrow bro. Keep on writing.

Erik Haagenson said...

Our perceived unlovability seems to have more ramifications than the occasionally ackward conversation. I certainly relate to your search for intimacy and desire to be loved. But maybe our perceived unlovableness or insecurity in our relationships act as a compass to turn us towards God and away from others for our intimacy.

Matt Fisher said...

Ryan, Erik told me I should read your post, and I have to say that felt a scary similarity between you and I when you were talking about having conversations when no one is there. I know that there differences between us, but I spend a lot of time imagining conversations with people not present. It is funny, sometimes I start to lose the argument or conversation and I have to interject and make sure that I win the fake interaction. But it what is strange is that you take all that you know about a person and you imagine what they would say if you were to ask them something. Sorry for the rambling. But you are so courageous to post this where friends and family are sure to see it. Luckily you are speaking to an understanding crowd. It took me about 6 years to tell anyone about what goes on in my head, fortunately your brother was there for me. I don't know if I have much advice, but keep people that you are comfortable with up to date on what is going on. That and prayer, no one knows you better than God. Thanks for the post Ryan, you showed some serious "spanglia" which is Hebrew for guts.

Rachel L. said...

Love your vunerablity. I think many people struggle with this issue. I know I do. Your post made sense to me. I struggled with that for a very long time. Just know you aren't alone.

Chris Nicoletti said...

Ryan,

Your vulnerability is inspiring. I wish that I could talk with you in person about these things. The fact that you passionately pursue God, and try to understand his heart, brings a large smile to my face. I miss you brother and can't wait to spend lots of time with you.

Phillip said...

I have to say kudos for posting this, it is obviously a subject very near and very dear to you. I must ask though, with all sincere curiousity, what of the people you see who recieve no affection? The people that you can tell feel scorn most of the time from most people? Do you shrug and make note that you're not the one being cold to them, or do you note how they return the sentiment at times? Do you admire them for not needing it?

Let me also ask this, while I'm somewhat dancing around the topic since I'm clearly referring to myself there (yeah, I really don't think all that many people are affectionate at all in my direction): do I come off as being irritated or hateful? Indeed I think you get that feeling from my occasional focus on religion with your but more so Andy's blog that I'm attacking you or your faith, but you should instead consider it the balancing factor. The people who comment your blogs clearly share your viewpoint, and in your quest to question everything I think a little perspective from the side of the damned could be useful.