Friday, October 26, 2007

...

Yesterday, as I sat at my computer reading the comments on my most recent blog, I had a crystallizing moment. I had an opportunity to post a blog that, honestly, I was terrified to post. I wrote it, and rewrote it, talked to some people on whether or not I should post it, and eventually I did. It's not all that I have inside of my head, but it's a large portion of my recurring thoughts. At least, the ones I've had lately. I realized, when Fisher brought it to my attention, that I most definitely do have a understanding audience. One that I love to write to. I did take a risk. My mind was set that I was probably going to pretty much ripped to pieces in the comments left. It thought that I had missed something obvious and, through the lacking ability of text to convey emotion and attitude, I thought that someone was going to harshly bring it to my attention. No such occurrence. It's more then comforting.

I'm loved. I don't always feel like it. Though, not many people have the opportunity to do what I was able to do. I have friends and family that need me and they consistently show that. I want to thank you all for that.

As for my struggles with affection and what not, they're not over. I don't know how long that will take if it ever happens. I think that it's a strong possibility that this strive for affection is just something to redirect me towards God, but that makes things hard for me. I've never been one who easily can take the fix. I can't pursue the how, without the why. Rob Bell said it all in Velvet Elvis. The why questions need to be answered. I can't simply tell myself that I need to turn towards God for affection. I know, it sounds like the simple answer but I can't take it. Call me a stubborn bastard, I've only learned from the best (you know who you are).

I will wrestle my heart out with God. I will question and challenge everything that I can think of. I don't plan on any victories, but I have to do it. It's the best way for me to engage myself with God. In my everyday life, I question everything. Example: My teachers. Mr. Zander, well, he's not the fondest of me (sorry Erik if that disappoints you). He told me that I had to do my homework consistently to be a good student and if I will ever have a chance to make it to college. Whether that's true or not I'm not arguing. Though, he took out all personal value and that I can't tolerate. I know how to be a good student, I'm not an idiot. I need a why. Why is homework a key part of being a good student, why will I not have a chance to get to college without doing my homework, if I do so well on every test then why is the homework important? Is it about the journey or the end point? Then I have to ask, how do I value my time? Is homework worth my time, in my view? I've always wanted to ask the why, because until those questions are answered, you don't know what how questions even need to be answered.

I love the fact that I challenge everything. I wouldn't be even close to the same person I am today. I don't think that chasing after the heart of God looks anything like simply turning to him. You've got to reach out, grab a hand full and hold on for the ride. Don't take anything easily. Then, God can show you what is important, not just tell you. So I'm bulking up for the ride. **I just flexed of my proverbial plilosophical guns** **sad thing is--there bigger then my real guns**

Now I'm late for Pork Chops. Ah...but is the time that I could have been spending eating Pork Chops worth giving up so that I can reflect on my current life? Depends, why do I even need Pork Chops in the first place?

4 comments:

Erik Haagenson said...

I love you Ryan. Thanks for the chat today.

Erik Haagenson said...

Nice new template. I usually try to ignore your grammatical errors, but I can't let you slide on this one; 'a lot' is two words. Might want to fix your heading.

Andy said...

Word up. Cool new blog name eh. I like it. And the new template is pretty cool. Ha I think i might change mine to what yours used to be cause i like that one much better than the one i have now. anyways...good blog bro. I am glad you posted that blog that this one was about at least in the beginning. (ha i like long sentences that dont make sense unless you think about them hard) but ya dude i will always be here for you. and i too am glad that you are in my life. and its definitely good to question stuff. Its how you learn whats valueable. and i admire you for standing up for what you believe in. thats probably something everybody does from time to time. ha i hope you dont mind that some of my comments are kind of long and very inconsistant. i bet some of the other people who see my comments are like that kid is an idiot. whatever. i will see you tomorrow. good blog eh

Phillip said...

Well, I think you can probably understand what Mr. Zander is trying to get at. There are people, myself included who strictly rely on talent to carry us and if I ever run into a class I can't simply do I'm going to be screwed. I almost got that way with calculus. If Mr. Zander had stuck to stingent rules I would have failed the second term and that would have been that. So you're right, if you can simply rely on knowing it all effortlessly congradulations, you don't need to do any homework ever. The why is simply that it is a consistent habbit to enforce your understanding. If you think by the end of the calculus class you will have the same recollection and understanding of the course materials as you would had to done the homework you're borderline delusional. That's what his aim is: retention.

Oh, and I just noticed your brother's comment - you can give him some sass for using a semicolon in place of a colon if you want.

As for questioning everything, I can't roll past the belief that you are, should I believe your blog, unfaultering in your belief in god. So I ask you this: if you truly question everything, how is it something unproveable is the crutch you build your life on?