Friday, April 6, 2007

this one is shorter, i promise

I feel that, even though fairly well written with developed ideas and organization, my last post exceeded the length that most posts should. At least on a high schooler's blog. So what I was in dire need of saying today in this post, I will attempt to say in as few words as needed.

We lost. Twice. We lost in a pathetic way too. One team blew us out 11-1, and the other game, well that one still hurts to much to talk about. On top of that, we lost three of our starters, two of which are our captions and one of which was our lead scorer, Hank. Hank tore his ACL strait trough and is out of athletics for six months. Yesterday was our first practice without him, and everything has changed. I feel like our team is very vulnerable right now. I mean our leader, the guy who got us going, pretty much the guy we played for, is sidelined and that takes a toll on the moral of the team. I'm not sure how we will bounce back from this. Thankfully we play steamboat springs next, and they pretty well suck. Its true, history says so.

It's hard to loose a leader. I never really had a relationship with Hank. I never really talked to him except calling for the ball on the field once in a while, but honestly, my heart sinks at the sight of him hobbling around on crutches. I miss him. I miss his words in the huddle. I miss the way he could find a way to put the ball in the net when no one else could. I hope the whole team feels that way so that together, we can fill the void of Hank's absence and still be the team that we always have been. You know, in 2002, there was a man named Drew Bledsoe. He hurt himself and was out for the season. He couldn't lead his Patriots anymore. Everyone wrote of that team as ruined and yet, a man named Tom Brady stepped up to the plate and was the MVP of the Superbowl. If you don't like that metaphor here's another more resent one. We, Dawson, are down to our last three hundred men. We were a massive army until fate tore us apart and now we stand at our last 300. That's a reference to the movie 300, if you didn't catch that.

Crap. I tried. I truly did. This post was going to be short. I had it set in my head. But here we are, a couple scrolls down, and its still the same post. My fault. I let you down. (really I wanted to right more too) But there's always next time I guess.

No comments: