Wednesday, April 4, 2007

sometimes you just have to say hell yeah

I'm back from Florida. I'm tired from flying, the altitude is going to work on my lungs, and dry heat is absorbing my energy. Ah, home sweet home. I saw plenty of warm weather down there. I left Colorado the day before a snow storm hit and returned the day after the snow melted. I guess that's lucky. Along with the sunny 70 degree weather, I got some bruises as promised. A real nasty one on my left shoulder. Its splotchy and seven different colors if that helps you to visualize. But as for the long beaches, well...I'll just say I had sand in between my toes when I hadn't planned on it.

I don't know if you have ever seen a lacrosse field. I don't know if you know what an actual game looks like. So, in effort to ensure that I have the correct background knowledge presented for my reader, here goes a short, informational summary of a lacrosse game. In the beginning of each quarter and and after each goal, there is a face off. This occurs at the center of the field where two players meet to fight over a ground ball. Quickly after the clock starts, two more players from each team join the scrum for the ball. Once one player obtains possession, all the players are aloud to fight for the ball assuming the player who originally obtained possession, lost possession. (That happens quite frequently) After the ball is in one team's control, they proceed to move the ball, by either passing it or running it, near the other teams goal. In front of the goal is where the action mostly happens. It is where players are setting picks, cutting, checking, tripping, driving and bouncing the shots from. All of this being a large, team effort to take the ball and put in the the other teams goal or to take the ball away from the other team and move down to the other side of the field. So the gist that I'm trying to get across is the the center of the field, where the face off occurs, and directly in front of each goal is where most of the action happens and therefore that is where the field takes the most beating.

The field that our team had the great pleasure of playing on, could be considered a beach in broader terms. In these certain areas that have been mentioned before, the ground was sand. Coarse, refined beach sand. It was terrible, miserable and almost disrespectful. Only an eyes view away are top of the line baseball fields that have stadium seating while our lacrosse fields are behind the cafeteria with a fence as one end line, and a telephone pole in the corner of the other end line. Moreover, the facility somehow thought to only have two trainers when there are easily more then ten athletic teams present at one time. That's probably around 150-200 players. That's a 1-100 ratio, trainers to players. And the worst part was, both the trainers where home sick for the week. (sick...wink wink) And lastly, lets just say their "All Star Cafe", wasn't so all star with their broken chairs, unrecognizable food and lack of air conditioning.

But coming back to the title of this blog, honestly, sometimes you just have to say hell yes. I spoke of the teams way above our level in an earlier blog. And don't get me wrong they were great teams. I just didn't know that our teams level of play could be so high. After considerably defeating the team from Penn. 10-5, our team went on to beat the defending state champions of Georgia, Lassiter, 11-8. Hell Yeah! There isn't a feeling quite like the feeling one gets when you here the buzzer sound in an almost glorious fashion and you and your team mates, no, your brethren take the field in a triumphant huddle after coming our victorious in an epic battle. I was, and still am, ecstatic about the win. It made a statement and I know that teams around the league back here in Colorado are starting to wonder who Dawson really is. Oh, and to top it all of, I got the game ball from the captains but really, everyone on the team pushed themselves and each other to win that game.

3 comments:

Erik Haagenson said...

Congratulations bro! That sounds like it was quite a weekend and quite some ass-kicking. And you got the game ball, well done. I miss you Ryan. I will hopefully talk with you soon.

Brianne said...

good job in the big F-L! that is awesome!

Aaron said...

Hell yes brother.