Thursday, March 15, 2007

politics are for grown ups

When I looked up the word politics, I found very vague and dissatisfying meanings. "The science or art of political government" or "The practice or profession of conducting political affairs." Oh so that's what it means. I get it now...(pause)...NOT! Right under these meanings came meanings like,"To take advantage of political issue or situation." Now you're getting warmer but the fact that your using the word to define itself, creates a hallow sense of definition. Yet, pulling from this what I could, I came to the final definition of "the act of talking about or expressing your ideas about the current government or the effort made to achieve an office in that government." Essentially, arguments, complaints and false hopes concerning our government.

My dad, no matter how he tries to disguise it, enjoys politics. I don't blame him because most people do. Not many people will back down from an argument just for the sake of they don't want to argue. No, if they truly feel that they are right they will argue their point until it's dead and dry. My dad, falls under this category. I usually fall under this category. Like I say, "There are three things that Haagenson's do real well, ski, drive go karts and be right." I say this sarcastically of course and try to make fun of the fact that most people see being right as something as simple as skiing or driving go karts. It's just something that is apart of their daily life. When we always think we're right, then arguments are sure to follow. And no, they don't always end in one side realizing their mistakes yet in a form of a "agree to disagree" census. So I think I'm right, you think your right, lets do politics. Hopefully my dad will chime in.

So here's my point. I'll try to make it as obvious as possible. If everyone thinks that they are right and are willing for fight vigorously for that, and most arguments don't end in "Oh, of course. I'm sorry. You're right." then why do politics? Why fight a fight that we probably won't win; a fight that will probably just leave us frustrated and holding grudges. Honestly, no one likes a grudge holder. My guess is that my dad has an answer for that question so I simply say...politics are for grown ups.

2 comments:

Erik Haagenson said...

Your ideas are good. We need to change the format for discussion to allow for other ideas, the sharing of differing viewpoints, and the progression towards newer and better ideas. I could so domintate you in a go-kart; anytime, anywhere.

Chris Nicoletti said...

It makes me very proud to read about your thoughts and ideas. I couldn't agree more with what you said about politics. There have been hundreds of times in my life when I really would have rather not been in a conversation because it was about politics. It is important to keep an open diologue rather than a debate. I love you man, and I hope that you come and experience a piece of this country with us. Keep up the writing.