Sunday, March 18, 2007

do you floss...no...me either

I recently heard someone say that if it's not worth it in the end, then it's probably not worth doing. This got me to think. I soon realized the immense amount of wisdom in the saying. If you don't think that what you are doing is making a difference, then why do it at all. If the final reward, the ultimate prize doesn't tickle your fancy, then you wasted your time. I know that this idea seems obvious, and pretty well elementary and I'm quite certain that it doesn't take much to wrap your mind our it, but I hope that you don't get caught up in an arrogant tone about it. Step back and consider it. Trust me, it will be worth your time.

So then...here is a list that I have compiled, detailing on the things that I will not do any more, or at least not as often.
1.I floss, but really my teeth don't seem all that much cleaner.
2.I make my bed, but I don't sleep any better.
3.I use a towel more then once, but I don't know if were really saving that much energy.
4.I try to go to bed at an early hour, but going to bed doesn't mean I go to sleep.
5.I wipe my...just kidding.

It may be different for you. Honestly, I hope you have a different list. Why? Because you're a different person with different values and that is a beautiful thing.

But what if I were to take this idea and apply to something bigger. Not just petty, daily life things. What if I viewed my relationship with God through this idea. What would it look like. Honestly, frequently I find myself reading the bible or praying and my heart is no where to be found. My heart fell asleep a long time ago. I don't mean what I say or think. It becomes an obligation instead of a passion. It becomes something that, in the end, doesn't change a thing. I'm not trying to say maybe I shouldn't pray or read the bible anymore, no. But what I do think is that it is better to sit and try to regain the focus of your heart and mind, instead of push on without them. Make your time worth while. Make it so that in the end, all that you can say is wow. When you bring your heart, God will press his thumb into it and leave his fingerprint, and all you have to say is wow. And that is a beautiful thing.

It's not worth it to floss, if your teeth aren't any cleaner. It's not worth it to make your bed if it doesn't help you to sleep. It's not worth it to be in a relationship with God, if your heart isn't their to be changed.

3 comments:

Erik Haagenson said...

Good advice from a good dentist. That old Dr. Ahern sure has some good wisdom. Really, your words challenge me as I read them and I am so encouraged by the depth of your thoughts, the wisdom of your heart, and the eloquence of your writing. I wish I that had perspective all the time which urged me to be concerned first with passion. Miss you brother.

Rachel L. said...

Love your thoughts here. Bet you didnt know I read your blog! You write beyond your years. I really can identify with making your time with God intentional. And I agree with you wholeheartedly about it. It's not worth it. Hope you are doing well.

Aaron said...

RYAN! You have a blog. I could not be more proud. Remember when you didn't know what they were? I sure do. Welcome buddy, you get a link for sure.